Limp along testing on simple RP2040 board

Hi!

Wow, what a great project, I had a ton of fun with the old BudPirate, so will enjoy using this one.

Two quick questions:

1. Will the BusPirate5 be available on Aliexpress soon? I get something almost every week, and it would be simple to order from there when available.

2. Two, is there a simple debug switch/variable to set in the source code, that would allow the ANSI terminal session mode only, where I could get some familiarity with the system running on a minimal rp2040 development board?

I have several and it would be interesting to see what’up. Right now when I drag a fresh build of REV10 onto the Bus Pirate flash drive instance, it posts …

No storage mounted.
Kind regards,
Ian and Chris

I was wondering if there was debug variable to set, so I could just get some VT100 experience before my unit arrives?

Thanks!

Hey @Rasyoung ,

1. Yes! After we fill the existing orders (after spring festival, starting next week) it will go on Aliexpress.

2. When you connect to the serial port (usually the lower number one), it should give the option of ASCII or VT100. If there is SD card or NAND flash the option will be saved. I think you can probably take a look at system_config to set different default startup values in the firmware, probably could also force the terminal of your choice by changing the startup loop at the top of the main statemachine in pirate.c

I can’t think of anything that will stop the firmware from booting on a Pico board. Stuff that depends on attached hardware will have trouble. Storage system is smart enough to give a default drive (what you see), but the power supply will definitely give an error code.

I would add that many protocols won’t work. The buffer means we manipulate direction sometimes, and many output signals are actually inverted at the rp2040 pin. SPI, LED, and UART should work. I2C, 1-Wire definitely will not work because they have inverted output signals.

Thank you for the consideration of your prompt response.

1 Like

No problem, please let me know how it goes.

Of course, where the real delight is the one-click successful compile of the source code. All I did is install the new unified PICO C SDK for windows, and make sure the environmental variable was set correct path, opened the folder in VSCode and pressed the build icon. BANG. perfect build.

This is shared by the previous version of the hard ware.

There’s a lot of similarity in the language and strategy of the programs execution between the PIC24, and rp2040 code.

Isn’t it just delightful! And two targets! They really outdid themselves, I think they did better on rp/pico than any of their single board computers.

I’m wondering to what extent running the executable code will see the SD card as acceptable flash memory? What I really would like to do is get the new BusPirate5 hardware and set it up for SWD JTAG debug, step the code and follow the initialization code.

I got BusPirate5 ordered today, so let’s see how the delivery process goes after Feb 19th., fingers crossed…

You would need to change the pin settings and SPI initialization to match that dev board, but i don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

OK, I will keep you posted when I have the toys together.

1 Like