My First Add-On: SAO Plank

Not the kind of thing I imagine many others would have a use for, or perhaps even find interesting, but I wanted to share my first add-on for the BP5.

This simple board is designed to let you connect up to three Simple Add-Ons (SAOs) to the BP5. This would be handy enough as a source of regulated power, but the board also taps into the rarely used I2C and GPIO pins of the SAO connector. I’m involved in a project currently that will feature multiple SAOs communicating with each other, and this will be helpful for development and debugging.

As for the name, @grymoire had suggested “Plank” a couple months back as a name for BP5 adapters/add-ons, and I liked the idea. Plus it rather looks like a plank from a pirate ship.

sao_plank_anim

8 Likes

Looks awesome, nicely done!

this is the plank of planks. very cool

1 Like

Wow! That’s lots of fun!

Love it. Still chuckling…

Would you happen to have any of these for sale? If not, could you provide the board files so I can get one made?

As a couple people have asked, I put up a page on Hackaday.io for the SAO Plank with Gerbers so others can recreate it. But naturally I do have a couple extras from when I had them made, and could send one out to you if you wanted. Looks like you’re in Tucson?

4 Likes