SPI Flash chip adapters SOP/WSON/DIP

There is a Japanese (Yamaichi?) clamshell socket (Series IC51 (Clamshell) SOP, TSOP Type I & II) that is much more expensive, yet might be easier to use.

Oh yeah, those are gorgeous! Mouser has a few but no price. RS Components doesn’t have 8 pin, but the 16pin is 138 euros. I have seen similar, knockoffs?, on Taobao from 7-8USD though.

Will look around a bit, maybe there’s an affordable clone.

Some tools for ZIF adapter

SOIC8 clips

QFN “clips”

1 Like

I use the clip and the matching adapter for my jig. I can plug in a socket or the clip. O can easily move the plug from one flash reader to the other.

Tomorrow and Friday are holidays in china, but next week we should start production of the flash adapters and SIM card adapter. I’m surprised it’s affordable, I thought the two-sided SIM board would cost $$$$ to assemble.

I received my BusPirate and the flash adapter. Thank you very much for sending these.

I have just soldered up the flash adapter and tried it out. It works well and the ZIF socket you chose are the good ones, when trying out several models I found that there was quite a quality difference between the different sellers.

I found two points I suggest to improve though:

• the marking for the VCC switch seems to mix Vout/IO0. I think it should read “IO0 | Vcc | VOUT” when it is turned around like it currently is. Vout and IO0 refer to the pins on the Bus Pirate, Vcc to what the flash sees. Or am I misunderstanding this?
  • The flash adapter hangs in the air when connected to the Bus Pirate. All force you exert while inserting an IC or pulling it out hinges on the connector on the BusPirate and the BusPirate PCB. Over time this will weaken the solder joints on the BusPirate or even can cause ceramic capacitors on the BusPirate to crack.

I suggest to add 2 holes to the PCB of the flash adapter and ship small screw-in standoffs with the correct height. Then the flash adapter can rest on these standoffs and won’t cause mechanical stress on the BusPirate anymore.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to ordering both

1 Like

Thank you so much for testing it out.

I noted that on several of the adapters. It’s been updated to be consistent across all four boards.

You’re probably right about the standoffs. It seems like 8mm would work perfectly.

I’ve bought some WSON to DIP boards from AliExpress with those types of sockets, and they don’t work too well… I’ve had to apply quite a bit of pressure with my finger or even use a lot of pressure with electrical tape to make the reading work… Has the same thing happened to you, or have I just been unlucky with my order?

W25Q64JVZEIQ

5X6 and 6X8 kit

My fix:

So I just received my wson flash chips yesterday and they didn’t work. I assumed it was a solder issue. Maybe I have the same problem? I’m planning to debug it today.

Have you tried accidentally melting the retaining clip with your soldering iron? It seems to have worked for me :open_mouth:

media_20240409_141811_552483908146840406

Literally as I was writing this my ewaste arrived! It’s about what I thought, some are pretty good, some look like they came out of a lake.

media_20240409_141811_3307705552622599803

I chose this chip because it has a JEDEC table.

Here, the JEDEC parser I wrote finds the table, but the values don’t make sense.

The universal serial flash driver, however, doesn’t recognize the JEDEC table, but finds it in the database. Not sure what the deal is.

I dumped all the chips, they’ve all been erased.

2 Likes

@Dreg asked if this is the same one.

ImportedPhoto_1712667454421

there’s an old (left) and new (right) version of the WSON socket. The new one is much better, as least this far.

This is the guy that makes it. The retention clip is randomly blue or black. All of mine have been black. You can buy individual replacements

2 Likes

XGecu QFN8 WSON8 DFN8 5X6 or 6X8 to DIP

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005006459409676.html

I’ve bought both, I’ll let you know how they work, they are somewhat expensive…

Are these available to purchase somewhere now or are they being tested?

2 Likes

@Jin put a bit in production today. Next week it should come tumbling out.

3 Likes

9bc04c98fdd1f001bcb1426ba20c815

There was some back and forth, this took a bit longer than expected. The SOP version should arrive tomorrow.

Somewhere above I mentioned that I melted the lid of the WSON socket. Well, it turns out that they make a heat proof version for reflow. It’s purple, and and it’s a bit stiffer than the black lid.

We only made 20 of the WSON because I’m not sure if anyone really wants this size, and it’s going to be more expensive than I’m comfortable with :woozy_face:

I like this better than my jig. It can also easily accommodate DIP flash chips. Sign me up.

2 Likes

The SOP8 version arrived. They were all tested today, 100% pass.

741d70db6b821dd836064e1e5f1c45d4

Custom cut pink foam arrives tomorrow, then we’ll get them packaged up.

1 Like

Confirmed! it works perfectly! good quality!

XGecu QFN8 WSON8 DFN8 5X6 or 6X8 to DIP

2 Likes

flash-dip8flash-sop8flash-wson8

SPI flash adapters REV3 are now available:

Resources:

Phew, finally done! Each board includes an appropriate Winbond flash chip.

The WSON sockets are expensive. I’m not sure if anyone will want one. I only made 20 to avoid having a thousand bucks of sockets sitting in the office. If they sell out, it will take about a week to make more.

If you want a WSON socket and find this one too expensive, you can get the DIP8 adapter board and use it with a WSON->DIP adapter from AliExpress or wherever.

3 Likes